Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mommy Gets a B-

I think that I really need to stop grading when Margaret is in the room, because she seems to be getting ideas above her station.  She picked up a notebook of mine this morning, found a pen,*and gestured imperiously toward the high chair.

I lifted her in, and she commenced her critique, though she spent some time thinking first.

021

She’s very intent on her job.

016

And then, it appears, she offered her criticism to me.  Because Margaret is a firm believer in the necessity of conferences, where she can explain her commentary.

015

This is good, because her commentary is somewhat opaque.**

020

She also pointed out that there were holes in the paper, though she thought they were buttons.

017

018

Of course, her word for button is “butt,” which meant that I spent a moment thinking that she was actually commenting on the quality of my lecture notes, and being remarkably rude besides.

*Which, by the way, I find offensive, because I can never find a pen when I want one, and so why she should be able to, when we go to such lengths to keep them out of her reach is beyond me.  And deeply unfair.  The obvious explanation of this problem is that she has some secret pen stash somewhere at ankle level.  I would not put this past her.

**That said, I have frequently wanted to scribble all over student papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment