Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cloning

I realized a few weeks ago that Margaret is turning into a small copy of my mother.

001

Part of it is the clothing – my mother wears a lot of red turtlenecks (or the same red turtleneck a lot; I haven’t thought to ask for illumination on that point).  And part of it is the haircut.  But a lot of it is just that they look alike.

This can become unfortunate.  For example, when my small mother clone is doing something she shouldn’t – like standing on the furniture, for example –

003

one can’t just say firmly “Margaret, stop that this instant,”  because she looks like one’s mother, and one only rarely speaks that way to one’s mother.

So it can be difficult.  My solution – and thus my New Year’s resolution* – is to speak sharply to my mother more often.

*Actually, my New Year’s resolution is to blog more often.  Hopefully once a day.  But more often.  I imagine that the smaller person will give me more material, while at the same time taking away time I’ve allocated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment