Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mommy’s Little Helper

One of the things that my job requires that I do is occasionally grade papers.  This is not, I have to say, my favorite part, so sometimes it gets put off.  And then sometimes I realize that I really have to get those papers back by today, because the excuses are beginning to sound like those offered by students, and that’s never good.

So then I sit down and spend the morning grading frantically so that they’ll be done before class.

In general, Margaret is pretty amenable to this plan, which is very nice, because although I can multitask with the best of them, I defy even the best of them to grade papers on university mission statements while singing the itsy-bitsy spider and dancing.  Can’t be done.

And sometimes, she wants to help, so we set her up with her own papers and colored pens.

001

She’s very careful to use purple instead of red (even though she has red) because studies have shown that students are upset by grading done in red ink.

004

She’s also very thoughtful.  She doesn’t want to commit herself to anything before she’s really pondered the matter.

005

But when she gets started, it has to be admitted that her commentary can be pretty scathing.  I mean, I’m a tough grader, but I rarely – even when I really want to – scribble all over a student’s paper and throw it on the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment