Monday, December 31, 2012

Loansharking

When I was a child, my father would tell me these tales of life during the depression where they couldn’t afford to heat their house*, and all the children worked hard and contributed all their earnings to the family, and things were better than they were in the 80s, where children were selfish and didn’t even have paper routes.**

Ellie appears to have heard these same tales this summer, since she is currently involved in exploring sources of income.  Of course, she decided to try to take a hard line with Leo on his borrowing from the spare change/pacifier bucket on his bedside table.  He seemed to think that it was his, but she knew better, and told him what was what.

035

She was then shocked to find out that he considered that tray his property.  After all, it had touched her pacifier, and so it ought to be hers, right?

037

And then shock gave way to chagrin.

040

But, you know, you can’t blame a girl for trying, can you?

*They lived in Florida, so I’m less impressed by this than I was as a child.

**Since I was only allowed to ride my bicycle where they could see me from the house, and there were only 4 neighbors in that space, only one of which took the paper, I’m not sure how I was supposed to have a paper route, but that doesn’t matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment