Thursday, February 11, 2010

How She Got Here

So not that much more than a week ago, I packed my bag and headed to the hospital for an induction.  Before we left, Leo snapped a picture of me so we could see me at my most pregnant.  It's actually rather terrifying.

 
I promise, most of that was baby.

After two days of labor, they decided to do a c-section, and we went off to the operating room, where they delivered a healthy baby girl.

 

This is me when I heard her cry for the first time. 

 
 
She needed siphoning and suctioning and clamping before her big moment - the weigh-in.  Everyone had been exclaiming how big she was, and so Leo and I were quite interested to hear the number.

 

9 pounds 14 ounces is pretty good, but we were expecting more after all the clamor.  Still, her head got good stats.  It's where she carries all her weight.  After the weighing, I finally got to see her.  I thought she was beautiful, though I may be biased.


 
 
Also, they need to figure out a better posture for this surgery than with both arms extended outwards and strapped down.  It makes it seem more like torture than it needs to.  After this, she was whisked to the nursery for some checking out, and I listened to the doctors say things like "could you pass me that bowel" and "I've only got 16; where did those scissors go?"  This is not something you want to hear after a long session where you can feel them restuffing your internal organs into your abdominal cavity.  Well, or at any other time.

 

She went to the nursery to hang out, have a bath, and get some clothes on.  I went to recovery, where we met up at the end of a long day.
 
 
I am no longer that color.


1 comment:

  1. I've never seen a newborn with such adorable chubby cheeks and arm rolls. This kid has a great future ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete