Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mummy Always Did Like Richard Best

Those of you who knew me as a child may recall my love of Disney's Robin Hood.  Those of you who have only known me as an adult may nevertheless have heard of it.  Or, perhaps, seen me watching it and singing the songs along with it.  Well, one of the things that I have always found endearing about Puck is his occasional habit of flattening his ears out in a way that makes him look quite a bit like Prince John when he's trying to get the too-big crown to stay on his head.  But the best pose that he strikes in the movie is his thumbsucking one.  You remember, this one:

 

Imagine my joy yesterday when I looked at my baby daughter and realized that she had managed to get herself into that pose.

Admittedly, she seems to have left her crown somewhere else, and - see an earlier post on her ears - I don't think that she's got the ear flexibility to support a crown if she did have one, but it's still a highly impressive effort.

She also seems on the brink of figuring out how her hands work, and more importantly, how to maneuver her thumb into her mouth when she wants it.  She's not quite there yet - she frequently tries to put the whole fist in her mouth, or gets her hand into the appropriate position, but can't quite figure out the thumb extension - but each day brings us closer to the thumb going into the mouth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment