Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Baking

We have cousins visiting, and it has been an adventure, since it meant that there were four children 3 1/2 and under in the house. 

So yesterday, in a misguided attempt to do something fun with them, I decided that we would bake a cake.  Because, you know, cake baking is easy.

And it wasn’t that bad, but it did have its moments.  Like when I realized that I had premeasured everything, but left it on the counter, and I was going to have to leave the two girls sitting on the floor right by the half-formed cake batter to go and get it.  Whoops.  But at least I thought it through enough to premeasure things.

Anyway, they had fun.  And enjoyed the cake.  At least, Margaret enjoyed the cake.  I don’t know if Franny did, because when she got eligible to eat it last night, I was putting Margaret and co. to bed*.

See?  Here they are stirring:

035

And here is Margaret giving it one last whisk.

032

Stirring was done on a strict turn-based system, as anything else would have led to weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

And I’ve got some ideas on what to do differently next time I bake with two pint-sized sous chefs.

*I don’t actually know if there’s enough of Ellie to be a co., but she’s trying really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment