Friday, October 15, 2010

Historical Re-enactment

I’ve had this series of cute pictures for a while, but haven’t had time to post them haven’t been able to think of anything clever to say about them, and so needed to let the creative juices percolate or ferment or carbonate, or whatever it is that my creative juices do.  Stew?  Marinate?


Anyway, last night, I got an email from a friend of mine, in which she pointed out that Henry VI was about the same age as Margaret when he came to the throne.  She had realized this, and further realized that his reaction to his coronation was probably along the lines of “WHAT IS THIS?  LET'S GRAB IT.  CAN I EAT IT?  I WANT TO EAT IT.  WHY CAN'T I EAT IT?  OOH SHINY.  LET'S SEE IF I CAN EAT THAT.”

It is, indeed, a sobering thought that this was probably true.  Luckily, he had a pretty good regent in John, Duke of Bedford.  And honestly – and I don’t mean to draw any parallels here to other Margarets that may have ruled England instead of Henry VI, because my Margaret IS NOT TO TAKE HER AS A ROLE MODEL – I think that my Margaret could do a better job of ruling England and her continental possessions than Henry VI.*

This discussion does, however, make a certain collection of pictures much more amusing.  She begins by being worried that there is nothing on her head.  After all, she is a baby of many hats.

691

So we oblige with what’s on hand.

689

She thinks “EXCITING!  WHAT IS THIS THING?  CAN I EAT IT?” and tries.

690

Signifying her acquisition of a second, ephemeral body**, a heavenly light appears above her head.***

696

And the body politic**** appears to have gotten up her nose, which is always a hazard in these situations.

*This may be because a bunch of hedgehogs in a wet paper bag could have done a better job than Henry VI.

***People who want to make jokes about there being enough of her to go around for two bodies can turn their attention to Henry VIII, as a more fitting object for those kinds of jokes.

***There may be alternative explanations for this phenomenon.

****Since I’m sure all of you want a more elaborate discussion of how to acquire a body politic, I will refer you to The King’s Two Bodies: A Study of Mediaeval Political Theology by Ernst Kantorowicz.

No comments:

Post a Comment