Thursday, October 18, 2012

Success!

So part of my mission as Margaret’s mother is to introduce her to ideas that will make her kindergarten teacher tear her hair out in disgust.  Also, I think that while her brain is a sponge, I should attempt to saturate it completely.  Anyway, one of the things that I say to her is that going up the slide, as opposed to down the slide, is a violation of the social contract.

You know, because it is.

Anyway, yesterday morning, we were waiting at school for the daycare to open – we were early, would you believe it – and Margaret was playing on the structures that are outside the daycare doors.  Ellie was wandering around over the floors, because – you know – she can.

080

081

083

084

And then she went after the slide.  This is the first time Ellie has tried to play on the slide, and – since I don’t let her climb up ladders yet – she went at it from the bottom.

078

Margaret was justifiably worried.  “Mommy!” she said, “Ellie’s ‘lating the shocial contrack!” 

My work here is done.*

*”Hah,” she said, laughing hollowly.  “As if.  I have years more work.  Humph.”  Because, you know, children don’t raise themselves, and honestly if I left Ellie to Margaret, it would probably be kind of bad, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment