Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Half a Giraffe

Margaret is getting to the age where she thinks that perhaps she should be involved in the gift-giving process.

Well, I lie.  She's been at the age where she thinks that she should be given presents for a long time.  But she has started to think that she should give them to other people.

As we came up to Christmas, though, she began to discuss gifts for Ellie, and gifts for Leo, and gifts for her grandparents, but she announced that she didn't need to give me any presents, because I was a mommy, and mommies are the people who get presents for other people.

This rubbed me the wrong way.

So I explained that I did, in fact, like to get presents, and I didn't just spontaneously generate them for myself (although it would be an awesome skill to have, you have to admit).  And I said that I wasn't the person who needed to help her get me a present, and that she should talk to Daddy.

This she then did.  And they got me a warm winter hat, for which I have been exceptionally grateful, because it has been ridiculously cold for a great deal of the time since Christmas.  As I write this, my toes are in imminent danger of dropping off.

But she also added a personal touch: a picture that she drew herself.  Or started to draw.  When she gave it to me, she told me that it was a half a giraffe.


And you have to admit, it is half a giraffe, lovingly and clearly drawn.  Bless her.  Because what mother wouldn't treasure a half a giraffe?

(Actually, I love this picture.  Because it's so very Margaret.  And adorable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment