Thursday, September 16, 2010

Meet Albert

This is Albert.


You may notice that he looks a good deal like Margaret.  In fact, so much so that you can't tell them apart.


Albert is our cover story when Margaret is dressed in masculine clothes.  We decided on this on our way back from Cape Cod when people were assuming that she was a boy even in a pink sweater.



Notice how hurt she is (and we'd taken the sweater off to go through security.  And her shoes, because my baby is clearly a DANGEROUS TERRORIST).

So we invented Albert.  He's named after my grandfather, who was named after George VI.*  We call him Bertie.

We thought you'd like to meet him.

*He wasn't, but when you're making up a lie, why not go whole hog?  My grandfathers were in fact named Robert and Vernor.

1 comment:

  1. I really don't understand why several parents that I know are obsessed with their baby's gender, clothes, and strangers' assumptions. Maybe I'll "get it" when I have a kid, but rational, progressive thinkers are being reduced to baby fashionistas over the right shades of pink and blue. Does gender matter? Do stranger's first impressions of an infant matter? Are there significant gender differences at this age that must be upheld?

    ReplyDelete