Thursday, March 24, 2011

Then Why Did They Call Them Gumballs, Eh, Mommy?

Margaret and I spend yesterday morning in the great outdoors.*

It was bright and sunny and beautiful and warm and pleasant.  And tomorrow we’re meant to have snow.  Never a dull moment.

Margaret developed a game** which involved picking up the effluvia of the American Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua, for those of you playing at home),

015

bringing them to me,

013

and smashing them into my face.

[Not Pictured, as I dropped the camera trying to protect my eyes.]

Sometimes in order to make it look more like a game, she stood like she was going to wind up and throw it at me.

008

She went into her motion.

006

And then, because she just spent a week with her baseball-mad cousins, and I’m pretty sure there’s something in the water in Port Angeles, finished up in ready position, in case I fired one back at her.

005

And then occasionally, she just handed them to me nicely, for my collection.****

010

And sometimes, thinking that they were in fact real gumballs (which she isn’t allowed to eat either), she prepared to stuff it into her mouth.

012

*Well, the backyard.

**I’m using the word loosely.  I think that the Geneva Convention would have something to say about it, but since the days of swaddling, Margaret and I have had a tacit*** agreement that we are not going to mention the Geneva Convention between us. 

***Well it would have to be, wouldn’t it?

****I think she thought they were a treat for me.  And of course they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment