Thursday, February 23, 2012

Awake, Alert, and Alive

Ellie is starting to stay up for whole half hours at a time.*  And she is a clever child, because she has been structuring her sleep schedule so that one of her awake periods is 7:30ish to 8:30ish at night, which means that Leo gets to see her eyes, and is reminded that she isn’t just a squawky potted plant.  And, as an additional bonus, it means that she tires herself out, and for the past two nights, has then been sleeping 9-3, and then back to sleep until 6, which is a sustainable sleep schedule for me.  In fact, it’s the one that Margaret was on until last July, so it’s clearly sustainable for me.  Not pleasant, mind you, but sustainable.

Ellie would like to note that waking up is hard on her, though, whenever she does it.

024

But once she gets up, things are pretty good, though I sometimes feel that I’ve been weighed in the balance and found wanting.

025

Or that she’s trying to negotiate with me, and I don’t know what she’s offering, or what she’s asking for.

026

But she might just be trying to fist-bump me.  It’s hard to interpret.

And sometimes she just looks like she’s really impressed with me.  And then I realize that she’s really looking at the dining room light fixture with such rapt attention.  I can’t really hope to compete with a light fixture, after all.

029

Then there’s this, and I just don’t know what it’s saying about me or her or how she feels about me.

033

Though looking at the later pictures on the roll, perhaps it was saying “I want something in my mouth NOW, woman!”

034

035

Yes, that seems the best explanation.

*I exaggerate.  She actually stays up longer than that, and perhaps my brain has been addled by the last two years, but it does seem to me that she sleeps more than Margaret did.**

**This is in no way a complaint.  Sleeping babies are AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment