Thursday, February 9, 2012

Out and About

Last Saturday, the day after we brought Ellie home from the hospital, we celebrated Margaret’s second birthday.  It was, of course, not really her birthday, but I didn’t feel up to planning a party from the hospital, and we didn’t think that she knew that it was her birthday.  Besides, we weren’t sure that Ellie would be regarded as a good gift.  I mean, we know she’s awesome, but we weren’t sure that she would register as such in the newly two-year-old brain.

Anyway, I don’t have any good pictures of the party, because the light was low and my camera was still in my bag.  My cell phone pictures aren’t that great.  So I will wait to talk about the actual birthday until I get those from Ron.*

But one of Margaret’s presents was a tricycle.  This is a step up from her 4-wheeled scoot bike that she has at Leo’s parents’ house.**  She was eager to try it, so on Sunday, we took it for a spin.

055

This picture makes her look very competent and grown up and like she’s on her way.  It is a somewhat erroneous impression, as she didn’t figure out the pedals at all, and forward locomotion was dependent on either pushing with her feet, or having Leo push her with the rod attached to the back of the tricycle.

This next picture may convey more fully what riding was like.  Notice particularly the feet.

056

Margaret also thought that she should take a turn pushing the trike.

061

And that went

064

about as well as could be expected.  So she decided that Leo pushing her was really the way to go.

065

Also, we took Ellie out for a walk.  But we bundled her up well, since it was quite cold.

043

052

I think she enjoyed it.  Or at least didn’t notice anything different from her usual existence, since she was bundled up so well.

*This is not actually meant to be a nag, Ron, but as I write it, I realize that it could work as one.  Anyway, if you choose to read it that way, there’s nothing I can do about it.  Oh, and thanks for making Margaret’s cake and taking the pictures and helping me get the house ready for the baby. 

**We housesat for them over the summer when they went off to Africa, and Margaret had figured out how to break out of all the containment mechanisms that we had at our disposal.  I was feeling crummy and pregnant and not like chasing her all over the house, so I got her a bike to slow her down and keep her away from coffee tables.

1 comment:

  1. I just learned in my Human Development class that the average shild starts to pedal a tricycle at about 3 years old, so good effort on Margaret's part for being ahead of the crowd! (I just realized the irony of relating what I learned in my "Human" Development class to Margaret!)

    ReplyDelete