Sunday, July 11, 2010

In Which M Grabs More Things

The grabbing, as you can see from the title, proceeds apace.  In fact, if something is near M (hands, toys, pacifiers, crib bars, launch codes for nuclear weapons) it's an odds-on chance that she will (or has already) grabbed it and shoved it in her mouth.

We've also gotten her a high chair, which she thinks is the best thing ever.  She sat in it at dinner the other night (up at the table, no less) and turned her head in the direction of the conversation.

Yesterday, while I cleaned the kitchen and made dinner, she came in to supervise.


When I say supervise, what I really mean is bang things on the tray.


Oh, and chew on them.  You don't want things going unchewed.  It's bad for morale.


But she didn't forget that her first duty was to make sure I was doing a good job.  This is where she tells me that I shouldn't skimp on the pepper, and asks if I'm sure the meat has marinated long enough.

(Also, she got a god bit of drooling in.  Mustn't let the standards slip just because we're busy).

When we moved her back to the dining room for dinner, she and Leo had a bit of a difference of opinion as to what she should be doing.  He said eating; she said playing.


His first attempt at persuasion failed, so he tried a different angle.


Also unsuccessful, so he tried another one.


Which met with similar failure.

Another cute habit M has is to grasp the tray of her chair when we're trying to remove it to get her out.  She's got a remarkably strong grip for such a small person.

She has also begun to get very interested in the things that we put in our mouths.  I started her on rice cereal in earnest because she was watching me eat with intense concentration and was making swiping moves at my food.

This morning, she combined teething soothing with grabbing and things that go in other people's mouths.


It was very cute until I realized that on top of getting up in the nights, she was keeping me from my caffeine, which is doubly cruel.
 

(This picture is refusing to center itself.  I give up.) 

I guess that's nature red in tooth and claw for you, though.*
*Also, it confirms that she is living life in a state of nature, as this proves that she is nasty, brutish, and short.**

**Leo says that about me, and I've been waiting years to be able to pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment