Monday, March 26, 2012

Reasons Why My Mother-In-Law Is Better Than Yours*

There are many.  One is, of course, that she feeds us dinner nearly every Sunday night, which is very, very nice, and means that no one at my house needs to think about it.

Another is that she looks after my children while I go and pound knowledge into the heads of various children.**

And to add to that, some mornings when she is going to have both children, she gets Margaret early, and takes her to do some activity, like story time or swimming or the zoo.

This is helpful as I get ready to go teach, but particularly so when I really want to post something to my blog, which is hard with both kids awake.

002

See?  Isn’t this disgustingly adorable?  Didn’t it need to be shared with the world?

*For various reasons, I am not addressing Bruce, Chris, Char, or Melissa here.  And if either Charlotte or Candy read this blog, and you think my mother is your mother-in-law, then not you either.  And if Robe, Donald or Andy read this, and have decided to adopt nineteenth-century conventions of address in reference to my mother, not you either.  No judgment has been entered in these competitions.  Which aren’t competitions at all.  Just to be clear.

Is that every contingency covered?  I think so.  Except I’ve changed my mind about Bruce.  I do want to argue that my mother-in-law is better than his.  I don’t know what that means, exactly, but I’m going with it just to be ornery and confusing.

**And there’s a sign of encroaching age: 18-year-olds are children.  I blame Alynn and Ryan. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment