Sunday, March 14, 2010

No Vacancy

I don't know that I've ever been more excited for daylight savings time.

The reason for this is that M's 5:30-6 am feeding seems pretty hardwired; she can finish eating her last meal at 4:30, and still think that she needs to be up at 6 for another meal, because apparently that's when civilized people eat breakfast.*

And now it is 7.  My joy knows no bounds.  Of course, this morning it felt like 6 when she got up at 7, and she'll go to bed at 10 instead of 9, and her middle of the night feeding will between 3:30 and 4:30 instead of 2:30 and 3:30.  So I'm really no farther forward except that I am more in sync with the rest of the world, and there's a certain psychological value in feeling that she's sleeping until nearly morning.  I mean, if she just added another half an hour, she'd be sleeping 10 to 5, which sounds like a full night.**

One of her really fun tricks, though, is to refuse to go back to sleep for about an hour after her 6 am feeding, so I have to wake myself up thoroughly.  She then drifts back to sleep at about 7, leaving me stranded.  And often she decides to sleep lightly enough that if I try to put her down, there is weeping, wailing, and gnashing of gums.***  So I sit (or lie) and hold her.

This morning, it was noticed that I looked like a good pillow.



I guess this means that Puck is warming up to M.  Yesterday, he came and sat on her while I was feeding her.  It didn't last long, as she kicked a bit.  And I imagine that if a cat that weighed more than me came and sat on my legs while I was eating dinner,  I might kick too.  An alternative explanation for his behavior is that he is trying to reestablish his ownership of me.  I imagine that at some point, there will be a showdown between the cat and the baby.  Anyone want to place bets?

*I assume she thinks that she's civilized. 

**I am aware that 9 to 4 would be the same amount of time, but I refuse to allow that anything ending at 4 is "almost a full night" because 4 is still the middle of the night.

***You might think that it is impossible to gnash one's gums.  And for most of us, that's true, because when we gnash, our teeth inevitably get in the way.  But M has very advanced gnashing skills, and takes no notice of her lack of teeth.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that 4AM was when a good nights sleep started...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put money (not much, public employee here) on Puck.

    ReplyDelete