Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Question of Limits

As many people know, one of the traditions of St. Patrick's Day is that those people who refuse to wear green open themselves up to pinching.*  But, as has been mentioned before, M has excessively pinchable cheeks.  Since I am a good mother, and even though she's not really going anywhere social today, I dressed her in green.



When I went to pinch her cheeks, however, she seemed to raise an objection.


So here is my question:  although she should be protected, by her green shirt, from pinching on account of it being St. Patrick's Day, does the green shirt provide absolute protection from pinching?   Or, if I stipulate that the pinch is because of her chubby little cheeks, am I allowed to proceed? 

*The wikipedia article on the holiday** (found here; I draw your attention to the section on "Customs Today") suggests that the pinch is affectionate, but I don't remember that from elementary school.  More that the pinch was vicious and frequently left marks.  And that once someone had noticed your lack of green, everyone in the class felt that they could pinch you.  There's an argument for smaller class sizes in public school.  Less damage on the pinchy holidays.

**I know, I know, but it's not like I'm turning this in anywhere.  And wikipedia is a perfectly fine source for things like this.  Some people are really picky.  Also, I'm footnoting a footnote, which seems excessive.  Do you think I'm overcompensating for the fact that I linked to wikipedia? 

No comments:

Post a Comment