Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Well, They Are Little

We've been spending a lot of time talking about what to call M.  (Besides M, that is, which as far as names associated with Margaret is the one that seems to be winning).  When we're speaking about her, we call her Margaret, but when talking to her, we call her M.*

When we're not calling her other silly nicknames.  Leo's been calling her Chunky Monkey, which (though she doesn't have the monkey ears some of us do) is at least fair on one hand, since she weighed in at 13 pounds this morning.  There are also many nicknames ending in "pants" such as "happy pants" and "fussy pants." And there are many diminutives.  In fact, having shortened her name to M, we end up calling her "little M" more often that not.  Also "kidlet" and many names ending in "-kins."

But then I think I went too far the other day.

First, the evidence:



You see a small pair of boots.**  So somehow I combined two nicknaming tropes, using an article of clothing and a word indicting small size, and came up with "Little Boots."  I'm almost positive that we shouldn't be calling her that.

*When I type about her, I call her M because I'm too lazy to type Margaret.  I suspect this is where the nickname came from, actually.

**Because you know, she needs boots for all the hiking she's going to do.  I think that the cutest things about baby clothes are the things they absolutely don't need, like pockets and shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment