Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hello Sailor

M really likes being sung to.  A good rousing chorus will make even tummy time palatable.*  One of the more interesting facets of her musical taste (and since she likes being sung to, we have gone through every song that I know, and many that I've discovered that I don't really know**) is that she seems to prefer songs about the sea.

Last night, she spent a good hour listening happily to my half-remembered rendition of The Pirates of Penzance.  Luckily, the internet was there to help me with music and lyrics and performances when I needed them.  There were occasional forays into Pinafore.  Luckily, she was dressed for the occasion.


And then when I told her that if she could scare up appropriate costume, we'd do The Mikado tonight, she seemed quite enthused.



So in case she acquires a kimono by some devious means(or worse yet, a wandering second trombone player), I'd better go practice singing three parts at once, and also updating my little list of people we can do without to reflect the concerns of today's babies.

*So here's a question - the point of putting the babies on their tummies is that they need to build their muscles and learn to roll over.  But M has discovered (usually after 10 angry minutes) that she can just turn her head to the side and relax while I rub her back.  This morning, she fell asleep).  Does it count as tummy time of the baby is enjoying herself and not struggling to get off of her tummy?  Are all my attempts to make time on her tummy enjoyable actually making the exercise fruitless? 

**There is a verse of Clementine that always comes out
Drove she ducklings to the water
Every morning, just at nine
Can't remember what this line is
Fell into the foamy brine.

5 comments:

  1. I am always available to assist in the performance of Gilbert and Sullivan. ;)

    Also, the missing line is "Hit her foot against a splinter" (I know, wtf).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's not inexplicable if she were wearing her herring boxes without topses as sandals I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had always heard the missing line as "Stubbed her toe upon a thistle." However, the Internet agrees with Lea, so I'm sure she must be right. One should always trust the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of the Internet, Clementine, and Gilbert and Sullivan, one must not forget Tom Lehrer's rendition of Clementine in various musical styles, including Gilbert and Sullivan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4f8oohdi0

    ReplyDelete