Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Rite of Passage

Those of you who are familiar with Costco may also be familiar with their hot dogs.  Once upon a time when I was a child, there were little hot dog carts outside Costcos, and you could get a hot dog and a can of pop for 35 cents.  And then they raised the price to 50 cents, and then a dollar, and now they’ve moved the hot dog cart to a food court indoors, and the drinks come out of a fountain and the whole thing costs $1.5o.*  Tempus fugit, and all that, but I really wish they wouldn’t.

Anyway, today, for the first time, Margaret enjoyed one of the “treats” of my childhood.  And here’s the thing about Costco hot dogs.  They’re not precisely bad, but they’re not exactly what you would call good, either.  But they’re awfully affordable, and convenient.  After eating one, however, you are aware of it for the rest of the day.

017

018

019

Her responses seem to me to mirror my ambivalence to the lunch.  But she was really excited to sit on the bench and have a coke.  (Which was really water, but from a fountain drink cup.  Do I look crazy enough to give my already unnapping child caffeine?)

*They’ve also added other options like pizza, and a somewhat terrifying “chicken bake” that is a long bready tube filled with chicken and cheese and bacon and Caesar salad dressing for reasons known only to God. I have not attempted any of the new items, because I am a traditionalist, and they look really scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment