Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Self-Censorship

I’m going to have to watch what I say around Margaret.

I mean, I already do, because when she calls up her Nana and says something wildly inappropriate, I want it to be clear that she learned it from her Uncle Ron.

But there are little phrases and idiosyncrasies of speech that I think are fine when I say them, but sound kind of weird coming out of her mouth.

For example, yesterday at lunch, she turned to me and said “Dude, this bagel is awesome.”

016

See?  She’s totally chill.  But the thing is, I can hear myself saying that, to someone my own age, if I were feeling very relaxed.  But it sounded really weird coming out of Margaret’s mouth.

And then she dissected the bagel and drew on the table with the cream cheese.  I took a picture, and then told her not to.  This may not be the best parenting strategy.

021

And when I said she shouldn’t do that, she said “Mommy, it’s my circle.”  Because that explains it.  Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment