Thursday, May 17, 2012

Schooled

I lost an argument with Margaret this morning.  Completely lost.  She produced unanswerable evidence that I was wrong – indeed, wronG – in my position, and I was left spluttering ineffectively.

So here’s how it went:

Ellie was in her bouncy seat (or wobblebottom, as I called it until Margaret copied me) and I handed her Mortimer the Moose to play with.  Alerted by some secret older-sibling alarm, Margaret came over and took the toy away.  I said “No, Margaret.  You can’t take that.  It’s Ellie’s.”

“It’s Margaret’s and Margaret have it” she insisted.

“It’s Ellie’s toy, and she should get to play with it,” I said calmly and reasonably and with just a hint of steeliness.

Margaret howled.  I suggested that she play with something else.

“Margaret look at pictures?” she asked.  I took my phone out of my pocket.  “No, Mommy’s other phone” she said.  I got my old phone out of the stereo and got pictures for her.

A few minutes later she came over and showed me a picture:

mortimer

“Baby Margaret have toy in a picture.  It’s Margaret’s toy.”

And she’s right.  I’ve got no leg to stand on. 

1 comment: